Geoindicators and their Applications in Arid Regions: Technical Program
An International Workshop Assiut, Egypt, 29 September - 2 October 2003
Monday September 29, 2003
9.30 - 10.30 OPENING SESSION
Speeches delivered by representatives of sponsoring institutions
- Department of Geology, Assiut University
- IUGS (GEOINDICATORS INITIATIVE)
- UNESCO (Cairo Office)
- Ministry of Environmental Affairs
- Environmental and Climate research Institute
- Dean, Faculty of Science, Assiut University
- President of Assiut University
11.30 - 14.00 FIRST SCIENTIFIC SESSION. ORAL PRESENTATIONS
30 Minutes for every speaker including discussion
- "An introduction to the Geoindicators Concept"
(12.00 - 12.30)
John Ridgway, and Christopher Milne,
British Geological Survey
- " Application of Geoindicators for the state-of
the environment reporting"
(11.30 - 12.00)
Geological Survey of Lithuania
- " Sand encroachment on the Nile Basin"
(12.30 - 13.00)
M. Adel Yehia,
Professor, Geology Department, Ain Shams University
(Previous President, National Authority of
Remote Sensing and Space Sciences- Cairo)
- " Application of Remote sensing methods for
studies of rapid geological changes"
(13 .00 - 13.30)
Polish Geological Institute
13.30 - 15.30 LUNCH
15.30 - 18 .00 SECOND SCIENTIFIC SESSION. ORAL PRESENTATIONS
- "Climate Change and its impact on coastal areas in Egypt.
(15.30 - 16.00)
Professor, Department of Geology,Assiut University
(Unesco Cairo Office, Earth Sciences Specialist)
- "Geodynamic research Implementations of earthquake activity and crustal deformation for the reduction of their environmental disasters"
( 16.00- 16.30)
Ali A. Tealeb,
Professor of Geophysics
Head, National Research Institute of Astronomy and Geophysics
- "Towards a balanced management, Dynamic and global , for water
in an arid country"
(16.30 - 17.00 )
Department of Geography and planning territory,
University d'Oran, Algeria
- "Perched water and recent soil"
( 17.00 - 17.30)
Professor of Hydrogeology, Zagazig University
- Applications of some surface geophysical methods in identification of the geologic characterization of the near surface layers
in different areas of Egypt
Geology Department, Fac. Of Science, Assiut University
Tuesday 30th September - Wednesday 1st October 2003
Field trip focusing on the desert features around Assiut- Kharga road (230km) , in and around the Kharga Oasis depression.
Details of the trip and explanation of the features is provided in a separate guide book .
Overnight in Kharga Town
Thursday 2nd October 2003
9.30 - 10.30 POSTER SESSION
10 minutes are given for outlining and discussing the presented poster
- "Pattern Hazard and mitigation of sand dunes
in the New valley ,Egypt"
National Authority for Remote Sensing and Space Sciences (NARRS), Cairo
- " Detection of crustal deformation using GPS networks in Egypt"
National Research Institute of Astronomy and Geophysics
- "Groundwater monitoring of El Kharga Oasis , western Desert, Egypt, using GIS technique
Ibrahim Nasr* & Ahmed Kotb**
*Desert Research Center, Cairo
** Dept. of Geology, Fac. Of Science, cairo University
- "Application of digital terrain model and hydrology modeling for extracting watersheds and stream networks of Wadi Kid, SE Sinai, Egypt"
Nabila Ibrahim & Ahmed Saleh
National Authority for Remote Sensing and Space Sciences
10.30 - 11.00 COFFEE BREAK
11.00 - 12.00 GENERAL DISCUSSION AND RESOLUTIONS